As director of the Texas Water Resources Institute, Dr. John Tracy works to connect Texas A&M University faculty and staff with a wide range of local, state, federal and private entities, to develop and move forward initiatives that address pressing water resources issues facing Texas, the region and the nation.
Ph.D. – Engineering (1989), University of California at Davis
M.S. – Civil Engineering (1986), University of California at Davis
B.S. – Civil Engineering (1980), Colorado State University
- Texas A&M University
- Director, Texas Water Resources Institute, 2015–Present
- Professor, Zachry Department of Civil Engineering, 2015–Present
- University of Idaho
- Director, Idaho Water Resources Research Institute, 2004–2015
- Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, 2004–2015
- Associate Vice President for Research, Southern Region, 2009–2015
- Vice President for Research, Interim Assignment, 2007–2008
- Desert Research Institute, 1997–2004
- Director, Watersheds and Environmental Sustainability Center, 2000–2004
- Associate and Full Research Professor, Division of Hydrologic Sciences, 1997–2004
- Assistant and Associate Professor of Civil Engineering, South Dakota State University 1992–1996
- Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering, Kansas State University, 1989–1992
- Hydrologic Engineer, Army Corps of Engineers, Hydrologic Engineering Center, 1984–1985
Professional Service Activities
- Member, Texas Groundwater Protection Committee, 2016–Present
- Member, Water Conservation Advisory Committee, 2016–Present
- Board Member, American Water Resources Association, 2012–Present
- President-Elect, President, Past President, American Water Resources Association, 2014–16
- AWRA Representative to the 7th World Water Forum in South Korea, April 2015
- Board Member, National Institutes for Water Resources, 2009–Present
- Executive Secretary/Treasurer, National Institutes for Water Resources, 2011–Present
- President Elect, President, Past-President, University Council on Water Resources, 2006–2009
- Board Member, University Council on Water Resources, 2003–2009
- Science and Research representative on the Lake Tahoe Federal Advisory Committee and Tahoe Working Group, 2004–2006
- Science Advisory Board Member, Midwestern Hazardous Substances Research Center, USEPA, Purdue University, 2002–2005
- Board Member, International Arid Lands Consortium, 2001–2004
- Board Member, Nevada Water Resources Association, 2001–2003
- Co-Chair and founding member of the Tahoe Science Advisory Group, organized by the Tahoe Regional Planning Agency, 1999–2004
- Research and Demonstration Advisory Committee Member, International Arid Lands Consortium, 1998–2001
Werner, B. J. C. Tracy, W. C. Johnson, R. A. Voldseth, G. R. Guntenspergen, B. Millett, 2016. “Modeling the effects of tile drain placement on the hydrologic function of farmed prairie wetlands,” Journal of the American Water Resources Association, AWRA, in press.
Sohrabi, M., J. Ryu, J. Abatzoglou, J. Tracy, 2015. “Development of Soil Moisture Drought Index (SODI) to Characterize Droughts,” Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, 10.1061 (ASCE) HE. 1943-5584.0001213, 04015025.
Sohrabi, M. M., Ryu, J. H. Abatzoglou, J. and Tracy, J. 2013. “Investigating drought using extreme climatic indices over Idaho, USA,” Natural Hazards, 65(1), 653-681.
Ryu, J. H., Contor, B., Johnson, G., Allen, R, and Tracy, J. 2012. “System dynamics to sustainable water resources management in the Eastern Snake Plain Aquifer under water supply uncertainty,” Journal of the American Water Resources Association, AWRA, 48(6), 1204-1220.
Tracy, J. C. 2012. Exempt Wells, Editor: Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, Issue 148, September 2012.
Johnson, W. C, Werner, B., Guntenspergen, G, Voldseth, R. Millet, B, Naugle, D., Tulbure, M. Carroll, R. Tracy, J. 2010. “Prairie wetland complexes as landscape functional units in a changing climate,” Bioscience, 60(2), pps. 128-140.
Tracy, J. C. 2009. Application of Adaptive Management in Water Resources, Editor: Water Resources IMPACT, AWRA, 11(3), May 2009.
Tracy, J. C. 2008. Complexity and Uncertainty in Water Resources Management, Editor: Journal of Contemporary Water Research & Education, Issue 140, September 2008.
Tracy, J. C. 2006. “Genesis and anatomy of water resources adaptive management: Components, approaches, benefits,” Water Resources Impact, AWRA, 8 (3), pps. 11-13.
Murphy, E. C. and Tracy, J. C. 2005. “Century-long impacts of increasing human water use on numbers and productivity of American White Pelicans at Pyramid Lake, Nevada,” WATERBIRDS, In The Biology and Conservation of the American White Pelican, Edited by D. W. Anderson, D. T. King and J. Coulson, 28(SP1), pps. 61-72.
Carroll, R. W. H., Pohll, G. Tracy, J. C., Winter, T. and Smith, R. 2005. “Simulation of a semi-permanent wetland basin in the Cottonwood Lake Area, East-Central North Dakota,” Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE, 10(1): 70-84.
Tracy, J. C. 2004. “Environmental impacts from water management in a closed basin: Walker Lake, Nevada,” Southwest Hydrology, 3(4), pps. 14-17.
Tracy, J. C. 2004. “Impacts of managing water in a closed basin: The Walker River Basin case study,” Water Resources Impact, 6(3), pps. 18-21.
Folliott, P. F., Dawson, J. O. Fisher, J. T., Moshe, I., DeBoers, D. W., Fulbright, T. E., Tracy, J. C., Al Musa, A., Johnson, C. and Chamie, J. P. M. 2001. Arid and Semi-Arid Land Stewardship: A Ten-Year Review of Accomplishments and Contributions of the International Arid Lands Consortium, General Technical Report RMRS-GTR-89, USDA. Forest Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station, 74 pgs, November 2001.
Stevens, D. K., Lall, U. Stednick, J. D., Ward, R. McKay, A. and Tracy, J. 1999. "Water quality monitoring requirements for TMDL development in the western United States," Water Resources Impact, AWRA, 1(6): 27-29.
Narayanan, M., L.C. Davis, J.C. Tracy, and L.E. Erickson 1998. "Modeling the Fate of Toluene in a Chamber with Alfalfa Plants 2. Numerical Results and Comparison Study,"Journal of Hazardous Substance Research, Vol. 1, No. 5b-1.
Narayanan, M., J.C. Tracy, L.C. Davis, and L.E. Erickson. 1998. "Modeling the Fate of Toluene in a Chamber with Alfalfa Plants 1. Theory and Modeling Concepts," Journal of Hazardous Substance Research, Vol. 1, No. 5.
Davis, L. C., Banks, M. K., Schwab, A. P., Muralidharan, N., Erickson, L. E., and Tracy, J. C. 1998. "Plant-based bioremediation," Bioremediation: Principles and Practice: Volume II. Biodegradation Technology Developments, Eds. S. K. Sikdar and R. L. Irvine, Technomic Publishing Co., Inc., Lancaster PA, USA.
Hameed, T., Mariño, M. A., DeVries, J. J. and Tracy, J. C. 1997. "Method for trend detection in climatological variables," Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, ASCE, 2(4):154-160.
Ghali, K., Jones, B., and Tracy, J. C. 1999. "Modeling heat and mass transfer in fabrics," International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 38 (1) (1995).
Tracy, J. C., Van Lent, T. J. and Mariño, M. A. 1995. "Design of ground water monitoring quality networks," In Advanced Methods for Groundwater Pollution Control, Eds. G Gambolati and G. Verri, CISM Courses and Lectures No. 364, Springer-Verlag Publishers, New York, NY, pgs 177-196.
Narayanan, M., Davis, L. C., Tracy, J.C., Erickson, L. E., and Green, R. M. 1995. "Experimental and modeling studies of the fate of organic contaminants in the presence of alfalfa plants," Journal of Hazardous Materials, 41:229-249.
Mariño, M. A. and Tracy, J. C. 1994. "Water and solute movement in a rooted soil," in Trends in Hydrology, Research Trends, Council of Scientific Information, Trivandrum, India, pgs. 359-371.
Pierzynski, G., Schnoor, J., Banks, M. K., Tracy, J. C., Licht, L. A. and Erickson, L. E., 1994. "Vegetative remediation of superfund sites," in Mining and its Environmental Impact, R. E. Hester and R. M. Harrison Eds., Royal Society of Chemistry, Cambridge, UK, pgs. 49-70.
Ghali, K., Jones, B., and Tracy, J. C. 1994. "Modeling moisture transfer in fabrics," International Journal ETFS 9:330-336.
Erickson, L.E., Banks, M.K., Davis, L.C., Schwab, A.P., Muralidharan, N., Reilley, K., and Tracy, J.C. 1994. "Using vegetation to enhance in situ bioremediation," AIChE, Environmental Progress, 13(4):226-231.
Ghali, K., Jones, B., and Tracy, J. C. 1994. "Experimental techniques for measuring parameters describing wetting and wicking in fabrics," Textile Research Journal, 64(2):106-111.
Tracy, J. C., Erickson, L. E., and Davis, L. C., 1993. "Rate limited degradation of hazardous organic contaminants in the root zone of a soil," In the Proceedings of the 86th Annual Meeting of the Air & Waste Management Association, Denver, CO, June 14-16, 1993, Paper No. 93-WA-89.02, 16 pgs.
Havenner, A. M., and Tracy, J. C. 1993. "Flooding on the Eel River: System theoretic time series, transfer function time series, and structural model forecasts," Natural Resource Modeling, 6(2):171-190.
Mariño, M. A., Tracy, J. C. and Taghavi, A. 1993. "Forecasting of reference crop evapotranspiration," Agricultural Water Management 24:163-187.
Shimp, J. F., Tracy, J. C., Davis, L. C., Lee, E., Huang, W., Erickson, L. E., and Schnoor, J. L., 1993. "Beneficial effects of plants in the remediation of contaminated soil and ground water," CRC, Critical Reviews in Environmental Control, 23(1):41-77.
Davis, L. C., Erickson, L. E., Lee, E. , Shimp, J. F., and Tracy, J. C. 1993. "Effects of plants on the bioremediation of contaminated soil and ground water," Environmental Progress 12(1), 67-75.
Tracy, J. C., Erickson, L. E., Shimp, J. F., and Davis, L. C., 1992. "Modeling the beneficial effects of vegetation in the management of landfill leachates," Proceedings of the 85th Annual Meeting of the Air & Waste Management Association, Kansas City, MO, June 21-26, 1992, Paper No. 92-27.03, 16 pgs.
Tracy, J. C., 1992. "The movement of non‑point source contaminants through heterogeneous soils," J. of Irrig. and Drain. Eng., ASCE, 118(1),88-103.
Tracy, J. C., and Mariño, M. A., 1991. "Identification of an Aquifer's Well Pumpage Histories," J. Water Resources Planning and Management Div., ASCE, 117(4),432‑447.
Tracy, J. C., and Mariño, M. A., 1989. "A management model for control of on‑farm irrigation," J. Irrig. and Drain. Eng., ASCE, 115(6), pgs. 954‑972.
Tracy, J. C., and Mariño, M. A., 1989. "Movement of solutes in a root‑soil environment," J. Irrig. and Drain. Eng., ASCE, 115(4), pgs. 608‑625.
Mariño, M. A., and Tracy, J. C., 1988. "Flow of water in a root‑soil environment," J. Irrig. and Drain. Eng., ASCE 114(4), pgs. 588‑604.
Tracy, J. C., and Mariño, M. A., 1987. "Seepage into variably‑saturated porous medium," J. Irrig. and Drain. Eng., ASCE 113(2), pgs. 198‑212.
- Outstanding Research Oriented Journal Paper Award, Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering, ASCE, for "Movement of solutes in a root-soil environment," August, 1989, 115(4), 608-625
- 1991 Chi Epsilon Teaching Excellence Award, Kansas State Chapter
- 1992 finalist for the College of Engineering Hollis Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching
- Young Civil Engineer of the Year Award for 1993, American Society of Civil Engineers, Eastern Branch of South Dakota Section
- South Dakota State University Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering Royal Shaft Award, 1994